This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: setup.exe handles same packages in multiple mirrors badly
- From: Andrey Repin <anrdaemon at yandex dot ru>
- To: Corinna Vinschen <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 13:53:30 +0400
- Subject: Re: setup.exe handles same packages in multiple mirrors badly
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAKChYSru=H790F9i7xCxOctGbyjX7WSp2AkYrg_KVRmtX-Q19w at mail dot gmail dot com> <494061537 dot 20140826003924 at yandex dot ru> <CAKChYSry3rEhMi59iAwjVBwTt7-Jas+k3Ww6fr0JWtKWNPNVZA at mail dot gmail dot com> <1355665912 dot 20140826053546 at yandex dot ru> <20140826091821 dot GA20700 at calimero dot vinschen dot de>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
Greetings, Corinna Vinschen!
>> If you ask me, Setup is long overdue for a complete replacement.
>> It "don't have" so many things other package managers allow, that I don't even
>> know, where to start. Meta dependencies? Suggestions? Virtual packages?
> The problem is not that we don't know this, the problem is, as so often,
> that we only have a handful of active developers at all, and nobody
> having the time nor inclination to work on setup to keep it ahead of
Apology again. :( At 5am brain want only one thing. And it's not "writhing
I was intent on clarifying your point, but brain said "BED!" and legs
> Setup was a wonderful idea, way back when it has been created, but the
> vintage charm of its Y2K roots are a bit depressing these days.
> So, if anybody wants to take a stab at setup and revamp it, feel free.
> The only requirements are, it should still be able to utilize the
> setup.ini file created on cygwin.com, it should still be able to work
> the mirror list provided by cygwin.com, and it should still provide a
> GUI and a command line. Everything else is open for renewal.
You might add "should be native application" and "should compile with Cygwin
Else it'll be an unbearable nightmare to support.
Andrey Repin (firstname.lastname@example.org) 26.08.2014, <13:49>
Sorry for my terrible english...
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple