This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Odd interaction between tab and backspace
- From: Andrey Repin <anrdaemon at yandex dot ru>
- To: Mark Yagnatinsky <markyag at gmail dot com>, cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2014 19:14:40 +0400
- Subject: Re: Odd interaction between tab and backspace
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAPbNvUxH88Dx2i8+7_P_EO8h=qkAd9LMRjEcW2ATQR06xs2-Sg at mail dot gmail dot com>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
Greetings, Mark Yagnatinsky!
> I've tried the following in mintty and in putty, and it happens in both:
> First, launch cat or grep or similar.
> Type a line with some tabs in it.
> Try to backspace them away.
> The tabs are erased one space at time, leading to ... You know what,
> why don't I just show you:
> $ cat
> 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 eh?
> The above was produced by typing 0 through 9 separated by tabs, then
> backspacing as much as possible, then typing 'eh?' The screen still
> shows 0 through 6 followed by eh?, but all cat got was the eh?!
> Is it a bug, a feature, or something else?
I can only replicate it in mintty. In PuTTY 0.62 with putty-256color terminal
and Ubuntu 8.04 running at the other end, I can not repeat it.
Tabs get deleted all proper.
Andrey Repin (firstname.lastname@example.org) 07.09.2014, <19:12>
Sorry for my terrible english...
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple