This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
RE: command line smtp client / command line email?
- From: "Joi L. Ellis" <jlellis at pavlovmedia dot com>
- To: Marilo <narium85-mlscar at yahoo dot co dot uk>, "cygwin at cygwin dot com" <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 14:55:09 +0000
- Subject: RE: command line smtp client / command line email?
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <1411924846 dot 65788 dot YahooMailNeo at web172501 dot mail dot ir2 dot yahoo dot com>
Now that I'm at work, I've done some digging, and here's what I've found...
On my ancient Windows XP box running 32-bit Cygwin, I have a package installed that provides /usr/sbin/sendmail.exe as a symlink to /usr/sbin/ssmtp.exe, and a shell secript /usr/bin/mailx.sh that is a front-end for it.
I've been using these to send emails from cron, and from my own perl script, for several years and have never had any issues. It even works from a shell script thusly:
$ echo "This is the message body" | mailx.sh -s 'this is a test subject' firstname.lastname@example.org
And I get the email in my office inbox. (Obviously I've obfuscated my email address in the line above as an anti-spam measure.)
Pavlov Media, Inc
From: email@example.com [mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org] On Behalf Of Marilo
Sent: Sunday, September 28, 2014 12:21 PM
Subject: command line smtp client / command line email?
what are my options for a command line smtp client in cygwin?
I'd want to specify smtp server and from address. I'd like TLS/SSL to be supported by the command
sendmail , doesn't look like it exists on cygwin and I know on *nix it shuts down any postfix server so I guess it mighttry to shut down any smtp server I have running.
heirloom mailx looks good, but doesn't exist for cygwin.
I can't see anything for sending an email from/in cygwin
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple