Re: Packages up for adoption

Hi Warren,

On Sep 19 08:56, Warren Young wrote:
> On 9/18/2014 11:44, Chris Sutcliffe wrote:
> >
> >I'm looking for any volunteers to take over
> >maintainership of the following packages: mksh
>
> I'm also somewhat interested in this one.  I've never been a Korn shell
> user, but I recently learned about mksh and its place in Bourne family shell
> history. [1]  Only a ksh93 package would be more valuable, but until someone
> adopts that, I think mksh still has a place in Cygwin.
>
> More questions:
>
> 1. Where is the source package?  setup.exe doesn't offer it.

It's definitely available on cygwin.com, and it's also mentioned in
setup.ini.

> 2. Have you cygported it yet?  I built it from the official tarball, and
> while it has a primitive non-Autotools build system, it looks compatible
> with cygport.

Yes, Chris cygported it already.

> 3. Other than time, is there a reason you haven't released R50b yet?  It
> seems to pass its own test suite here, so if I adopt it, I'm committing to
> releasing R50b shortly, unless there are traps I haven't discovered.
>
> 4. What do you think about replacing mksh in Cygwin with ksh93?  It seems
> OSS-enough to make Red Hat happy. [2]

ksh93 comes with a compatibility layer lib called AST.  I don't think
this lib has ever been ported to Cygwin 1.7.  The last official binary
release for Cygwin is for 32 bit only, dated 2012-08-06.  From the
README files in the sources I gather the latest Cygwin patch is from
2004, which is way back in the Cygwin 1.5 era.  A quick scan of the
latest released source shows that AST still uses the pre-1.7 path
conversion functions which are not available on 64 bit Cygwin.  There's
a bit of porting required I guess.

Corinna

Red Hat