Re: emacs auto-indentation bug

On 10/13/2014 2:26 PM, Nellis, Kenneth wrote:
I haven't changed my ~/.emacs file since 2012, but sometime in the last several weeks I've noticed changes in emacs behavior.

1. I've never turned on automatic indentation--don't actually know how--yet if I indent a new line by pressing the tab key, when I hit the enter key, the next line has been automatically indented to align with the previous one. This happens even if I start emacs with the -q option.

2. What makes this worse is the fact that it inserts tab characters rather than spaces for this automatic indentation. I specifically have "(setq-default tab-width 4)" in .emacs, and my manual indentation is indeed created with space characters, but subsequent auto-indented lines are indented with tab characters.

I perused the ChangeLog, but didn't see anything relevant since 2012. Curious about this change.

Googling, I found this reference (http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/AutoIndentation):

"NOTE: Recent changes, I think during Emacs 24.3, have swapped effects of RET and C-j, so RET typically does newline-and-indent."

So, that pretty much explains it. Sounds like an upstream bug, but affecting this community as well. I was wondering if anyone can offer a workaround to restore the previous behavior. Also wondering if anyone has insight into this "bug" being possibly fixed upstream.

This is not a bug. It's a deliberate upstream change. Browse the NEWS file ('C-h n' from within emacs), and read the section entitled "** Indentation".

Ken