Re: Problems on case-sensitive file systems

On Oct 22 09:01, Thomas Wolff wrote:
> I'm facing a number of issues with case-sensitivity which I've collected:
>
> There is a documented limitation on case-sensitivity using drive letter
> paths,
> also mentioned in https://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2013-08/msg00090.html
> (last item). I vaguely remember seeing a reason for this limitation in some
> mail but can't find it again. I think it would be good to remove this
> limitation because it breaks user expectations when working on
> case-sensitive drives.

The user expectation when using DOS paths is caseinsensitivity in the
first place.  But, as usual, there's no way to do this right, since
somebody will have another POV.  My stance is, don't use DOS paths when
using Cygwin.  At leats don't use DOS paths if you have any expectations
about special POSIX path handling on Cygwin.

> According to documentation, the posix mount flag is enforced to be the same
> for all mounts below /cygdrive; is there a strong reason?

Yes.  The flags are shared between all cygdrive paths.  If you need
something else, don;'t use the cygdrive path, but another, manually
added mount point.  Note that this:

 none /cygdrive cygdrive binary,posix=0,user 0 0
 D: /cygdrive/d ntfs binary,nouser,posix=1,noumount 0 0

does NOT work.  The manual paths must not overlap with the cygdrive
paths.  Use somehthing else instead:

 D: /drive_d ntfs binary,nouser,posix=1,noumount 0 0

Corinna

Red Hat