This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: run.exe flashes non-hidden console window in cygwin64 on Win7Pro-64
- From: John Wiersba <jrw32982 at yahoo dot com>
- To: "cygwin at cygwin dot com" <cygwin at cygwin dot com>, Doug Henderson <djndnbvg at gmail dot com>
- Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 05:24:19 -0700
- Subject: Re: run.exe flashes non-hidden console window in cygwin64 on Win7Pro-64
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <1413488630 dot 82429 dot YahooMailNeo at web162806 dot mail dot bf1 dot yahoo dot com> <544055FF dot 2030604 at cs dot umass dot edu> <1413517183 dot 86611 dot YahooMailNeo at web162801 dot mail dot bf1 dot yahoo dot com> <1413517863 dot 36122 dot YahooMailNeo at web162806 dot mail dot bf1 dot yahoo dot com> <54411638 dot 2000104 at cs dot umass dot edu> <1413910316 dot 59036 dot YahooMailNeo at web162803 dot mail dot bf1 dot yahoo dot com> <1245475041 dot 20141022173600 at yandex dot ru> <1414010093 dot 92003 dot YahooMailNeo at web162802 dot mail dot bf1 dot yahoo dot com> <CAJ1FpuM=aDE0tAPb5Ez_TwW87j8ypBWp_RncETFaDQdNYLYYzA at mail dot gmail dot com> <1606505198 dot 20141023052833 at yandex dot ru> <1414037878 dot 2285 dot YahooMailNeo at web162805 dot mail dot bf1 dot yahoo dot com>
- Reply-to: John Wiersba <jrw32982 at yahoo dot com>
> From: Andrey Repin <email@example.com>
>To: Doug Henderson <firstname.lastname@example.org>; email@example.com
>Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 9:28 PM
>Subject: Re: run.exe flashes non-hidden console window in cygwin64 on Win7Pro-64
>>> Andrey, the flashing console flashes very quickly and I don't know how to slow it down.
>>> It appears to have no title and no contents.
>Normally, I just fire up a screen recorder in such cases. But I seems to have
>missed the beginning of a discussion.
>> run appears to work correctly when you use it at a cygwin shell prompt.
>> run.exe is a cygwin executable; use ldd see the DLLs that it uses.
>> Since your shortcut is not starting a windows GUI program, it starts a
>> console window, possibly executing cmd.exe
>Depends on the way shortcut is constructed... I don't think it ever touch
>cmd.exe, there's no need to do so. But the console window is really the
>run.exe itself. Most, if not all, of Cygwin applications are in fact "console
>applications" in Windows terms.
>> Have you tried changing the shortcut to cause it to open the window
>> minimized? I vaguely remember doing something like that with the
>> cygwin.bat clone I used to start a (non-X windows) rxvt window.
>That may at least alleviate the window flashing in the face of a user.
Maybe I'm confused. Isn't the purpose of run.exe to start a
cygwin program without creating a (visible) console window?
I can just start a cygwin program directly without the indirection of
run.exe if I don't care about the random flashing console window.
>From the run.exe manpage:
run will do this for you. It works as intermediate and starts a program but makes the console window hidden.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple