Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 1.7.33-0.6

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On Nov  6 19:34, Christian Franke wrote:
Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On Nov  6 07:39, Christian Franke wrote:
Corinna Vinschen wrote:
Hi Cygwin friends and users,

I just released a 6th TEST version of the next upcoming Cygwin release,
1.7.33-0.6.

Looks good so far.

An observation from my first test on a machine which is member of a domain:

mkpasswd -l and -L always print the HOST prefix.
mkpasswd -d and -D never print the DOMAIN prefix
Right.  That's by design.  -D is deprecated.  -L of the new mkpasswd/
mkgroup (which hopefully are not used by users a lot in future) only
prefix *foreign* machines.
But why does
   mkpasswd -l (no host) -- adds a prefix
   mkpasswd -l THISHOST -- does not add a prefix
when the machine is in a domain? Not consistent, IMO.
That's right.  The reason is that the machine name is treated as a
foreign machine.  In theory, this should always generate names
with prefixed machine name, but this is an entirely different
code path in mkpasswd/mkgroup.  I guess this should be fixed.

I wouldn't be unhappy about help...

I would only fix it back to the old behaviour (mkpasswd -l = no prefix), sorry :-)

At my real job we run several build & test machines which are members of a domain but use various local test user accounts (with no collision with domain users due to name space rules). Loosing the ability to use prefix-less local user names would break various existing test scripts (which are also used on Linux).

Generated emails would have a from address with HOST+USER name part which might give interesting results if the mail system somehow interprets the NAME+EXTENSION address syntax...

So there are use cases where prefix-less local user names are needed. This should be still supported, e.g. by mkpasswd -l, IMO.

But PLEASE keep the ability to create local users/groups without a prefix.
Otherwise useful configuration defaults (mail_owner=postfix, ...) would be
no longer useful because config files must be tweaked for each host
(mail_owner=HOST+postfix, ...) for the sole purpose of[1]. Some of such
technical users (sshd?) might also be hard coded or a config parser might
not like the HOST+USER syntax.
And how's that supposed to work?  Even if we introduce a way in
/etc/nsswitch.conf to generate usernames differently, it doesn't really
help.  Your config file should be able to work with default settings
and not force the admin to use specific settings in nsswitch.conf.

The 'PLEASE keep ...' was only related to the new csih script. It should be able to optionally put prefix-less local usernames to /etc/passwd.

Christian