Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 1.7.33-0.6

Greetings, Christian Franke!

>>> But why does
>>>    mkpasswd -l (no host) -- adds a prefix
>>>    mkpasswd -l THISHOST -- does not add a prefix
>>> when the machine is in a domain? Not consistent, IMO.
>> That's right.  The reason is that the machine name is treated as a
>> foreign machine.  In theory, this should always generate names
>> with prefixed machine name, but this is an entirely different
>> code path in mkpasswd/mkgroup.  I guess this should be fixed.
>>
>> I wouldn't be unhappy about help...

> I would only fix it back to the old behaviour (mkpasswd -l = no prefix),
> sorry :-)

> At my real job we run several build & test machines which are members of
> a domain but use various local test user accounts (with no collision
> with domain users due to name space rules). Loosing the ability to use
> prefix-less local user names would break various existing test scripts
> (which are also used on Linux).

Did you actually tried running your scripts under new Cygwin DLL and see these
failures, or you're just theorizing here?

> Generated emails would have a from address with HOST+USER name part
> which might give interesting results if the mail system somehow
> interprets the NAME+EXTENSION address syntax...

That's up to script. You can also fix it with a simple ${USER#${MACHINE}+}
macro.

> So there are use cases where prefix-less local user names are needed.
> This should be still supported, e.g. by mkpasswd -l, IMO.

If YOU need prefix-less local names, YOU create them.

>>> But PLEASE keep the ability to create local users/groups without a prefix.
>>> Otherwise useful configuration defaults (mail_owner=postfix, ...) would be
>>> no longer useful because config files must be tweaked for each host
>>> (mail_owner=HOST+postfix, ...) for the sole purpose of[1]. Some of such
>>> technical users (sshd?) might also be hard coded or a config parser might
>>> not like the HOST+USER syntax.
>> And how's that supposed to work?  Even if we introduce a way in
>> /etc/nsswitch.conf to generate usernames differently, it doesn't really
>> help.  Your config file should be able to work with default settings
>> and not force the admin to use specific settings in nsswitch.conf.

> The 'PLEASE keep ...' was only related to the new csih script. It should
> be able to optionally put prefix-less local usernames to /etc/passwd.

Not supposed to work that way, I'd say.
The whole aim of the change is to get rid of these fails, not to help users
create them.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...