Re: Fatal error using flock

On Dec  2 14:48, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Dec  1 23:43, Kyle R. wrote:
> > I've run into a problem with flock while doing some parallel scripting
> > in bash (also seen in dash) on the latest 64-bit version of Cygwin
> > running on Windows 8.1. In the attached simple test case, the code
> > locks and unlocks a file in a loop. After the first iteration of the
> > loop is completed, this error is thrown:
> >
> >       0 [main] flock 7008 C:\cygwin64\bin\flock.exe: *** fatal error -
> > NtCreateEvent(lock): 0xC0000035
> > ./test.sh: line 12:  7008 Hangup                  flock -x 5
>
> Confirmed.  I'll investigate.
>
> > However, the problem doesn't occur if I comment out the "while true
> > do" and "done" and call the script file from a while loop in another
> > bash script.
>
> This sounds like a problem with the parent process holding the event
> object connected to the lock.  This doesn't happen in the second case,
> because the parent holding the lock disappeared as well.

Ouch.  The handle in the parent got created non-inheritable.  That's
bad if the handle is utilized in subsequent child processes which rely
on being able to access the handle.

I applied a patch and created a new developer snapshot on
https://cygwin.com/snapshots/

Please give it a try.

Thanks,
Corinna