Re: Unable to extract libkbdsg.a while installing the w32api-runtime / gcc-core package

On 01/13/2015 01:27 PM, rocwhite168 wrote:
Hi Larry,

Thanks for your suggestion. The problem still exists if I shut down my
anti-virus software. The other point is hard to demonstrate, but say
just trust me on this that virus is not very likely.
 also
I tested it on two Win 8.1 + one Win 7 machines: I cannot create a
file named "libkbdsg.a" in TotalCommander or cmd.exe (by entering
"type NUL > libkbdsg.a"), but can do it using Windows File Explorer. I
can create files named similarly (e.g., libkbdsf.a) using either
method. I know some file names are special (e.g., CON, PRN) and cannot
be used, but "libkbdsg.a" doesn't seem to be one of them.

Cygwin installer can install w32api-runtime on the Win7 and one of the
Win 8.1 machines, but it failed to install this file on my newest Win
8.1.

There's definitely something that's getting in your way.  Anti-malware
and anti-virus programs can do this.  And they sometimes requires you to
uninstall the offending program to remove the restriction.  Just disabling
is a good first step but it's not always enough.  But other software
(malware, viruses, drivers, etc) could also be the cause.  One thing you
might try is rebooting into "Safe Mode" to see if the behaviour differs.  It
should and that might help you narrow down the culprit.

The fact that this behaviour happens even if you're not using Cygwin makes
pursuing this further on this list off-topic. While it would be perfectly acceptable for you to report back what you find (for the archives and for
those reading the thread that are curious :-) ), further diagnostic help
and suggestions, if needed, really should be directed to some Windows forum.

--
Larry