Re: Subversion (svn.exe) prepending current directory to target path when using Windows path format.

On Jan 23 09:13, Hans Deragon wrote:
> On 2015-01-22 14:19, David Rothenberger wrote:
>
> >Hans Deragon wrote:
> >
> >>When I run Cygwin subversion command (svn) with a Windows formatted path
> >>(C:dir1dir2...), for some reason it prepends the current directory
> >>(${PWD}) in Cygwin format (/cygdrive/c/...) to the target path in
> >>Windows format, causing the command to fail. Using a target path
> >>expressed in Cygwin format works fine.
> >
> >I am the maintainer of Subversion for Cygwin. I do not have the time or
> >interest to try to patch this in Subversion. In general, I don't feel
> >the Cygwin tools have a responsibility to support Windows formatted paths.
>
> I understand. Thank you for your reply, I will do without. I am just
> curious; is the problem really with svn? I thought that the Cygwin libraries
> are responsible for converting Windows path to Cygwin paths. I am surprised
> that svn has a different behavior depending of the path format; it suggests
> that some code of svn receives the Windows path instead of a converted
> Cygwin path, thus explaining the different behavior.
>
> I am not at all a Cygwin expert and I am just speculating.

What you're observing is how the application itself handles paths
incoming from the command line.  An innocent POSIX application
might be inclined to check for a leading slash and if it's missing,
treat the path as relative.

The best way forward is to use POSIX path throughout and to convert
incoming Windows paths from native tools using cygpath(1) as described
in https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html#cygpath

HTH,
Corinna

Red Hat