Re: Non-privileged use can't logon

Hi Max,

Max Rockliff wrote:
Hey Corinna,

You're a magician.  It seems to have fixed the problem, or at least provided an effective workaround.  Here's a transcript (kinda)

1.  Downloaded the new cygwin1-20150311.dll.xz  (PS. Kudos for using a yyyymmdd format in the name - I always do, but so many don't
2.  Copied the xz file to my privileged user account home folder and Unxz'ed it.
3.  Used Windows to copy the file cygwin1-20150311.dll to the C:\cygwin\bin folder
4.  Stopped the SSHD service
5.  Renamed the old cygwin1.dll to cygwin1.dll.old
6.  Renamed cygwin1-20150311.dll to cygwin1.dll
7.  Started the SSHD service
8.  Started the terminal
9.  Executed ssh st@localhost and it logged on successfully no errors.
	Max@Max-PC /bin
	$ ssh st@localhost
	st@localhost's password:
	Last login: Wed Mar 11 20:32:00 2015 from ::1

	st@Max-PC ~
	$
10.  And, as we like to say in Australia - Sweet!

I noticed that you are initially logged on as a user, named "Max" on a host, named "Max-PC".

I teach kids Linux using Cygwin and many of them, being gamers, name their computers after themselves, so they can be recognized on a network.

Having seen this over and over on their laptops, I can now say with 100% certainty that this causes the "/" and "/etc" folders to be installed with group-writable permissions.

Normally I wouldn't bother, but I make them compile Sendmail as part of a series of lessons. Sendmail doesn't like group-writable folders and refuses to send mail.

This problem occurs on Win7, Win8, and Win8.1 with the following username/hostname combinations: "Jony@Jony", "Kjell@Kjell-PC". The way we solve this is:

chgrp Users / /etc
chmod g-w / /etc

Chmod alone doesn't work. We first have to change the group owner of the folders for chmod to be effective.

Maybe this phenomenon is unrelated to your sshd problem, but when I saw your user/host combination I felt the need to share this with you and the group.

Cheers,
Daniel