Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: perl-5.14.4-3

Erwin Waterlander writes:
>> cygcheck output, please.
>
> pod2man seems ok, but pod2html produces wrong output.
>
> $ cygcheck pod2html
> Found: C:\cygwin\bin\pod2html
> C:\cygwin\bin\pod2htmlcygcheck: C:\cygwin\bin\pod2html is not a DLL:
> magic number 2123 (8483) '#!'

Yes I know it's a script.  I was talking about the procedure described
here: https://cygwin.com/problems.html (so I'd know whether you were
using 32bit or 64bit Cygwin and what other packages might be involved).

>> I'd appreciate if you could come up with a self-contained reproducer.
>
> wget http://waterlan.home.xs4all.nl/dos2unix/dos2unix-7.2.tar.gz
> tar xzf dos2unix-7.2.tar.gz
> cd dos2unix-7.2
> make maintainer-clean
> make html
>
> now open man/uk/man1/dos2unix.htm

I'll look at that later, I was hoping for something more condensed
actually.

> It looks like this http://waterlan.home.xs4all.nl/tmp/dos2unix.htm
> while it should look like
> http://waterlan.home.xs4all.nl/dos2unix/uk/man1/dos2unix.htm

This looks like a mixup between UTF-8 and raw IO or possibly double
encoding.  What happens if you force UTF-8 by starting Perl with the -C0
switch?

> It could be a pod2html bug. I know that between perl 5.14.2 and 5.18
> the pod2html output changed from plain UTF-8 to ASCII with ampersand
> codes. I have asked the maintainer about it, but I got no answer.

You might be missing the encoding directives or something like that (if
these are missing and you force UTF-8 anyway bad things happen).  There
aren't any test fails related to Pod, so if it's a bug then nobody is
testing for it yet.

Regards,
Achim.

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld: