Re: tar zxvf won't work with Redhat generated compressed tar file

On 04/20/2015 12:40 PM, Murthy Gandikota wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I am using Cygwin64. I am getting a file from RedHat in tar + zip format. Currently I am able to unzip it and untar it in 2 steps as follows:
>
> $gunzip mytar.gz
> $tar xvf mytar

According to upstream, some compressed tar files can fail to unpack
without this patch:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-tar/2015-02/msg00008.html

which is not yet in the cygwin build.  But that email example was for a
tar.bz2 file, whereas yours is tar.gz; also, the fact that your 32-bit
build worked while your 64-bit build failed makes me wonder if it is
something in the code that is not 64-bit clean, rather than that
particular upstream bug.

But I'd need to be able to reproduce the problem locally before I can
provide an updated tar build for cygwin that fixes the problem.