Re: From Microsoft: Windows 10 Console and Cygwin

On 30.04.2015 2:43, Michael DePaulo wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 4:06 PM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> On Apr 29 19:01, Rich Eizenhoefer wrote:
>>> I'm the Program Manager at Microsoft for the updated Windows 10
>>> console. I searched the Cygwin FAQ and mailing list archives for
>>> issues related to Windows 10 and found an item about multiple windows
>>> which should already be fixed. We have received a couple reports about
>>> crashes when running on Windows 10 with the new console enabled. For
>>> example:
>>>
>>> "cygwin is dying when i run a bunch of the git tools. For example: >grep -rin log .\ 0 [main] us 0 init_cheap: VirtualAlloc pointer is null, Win32 error 487 AllocationBase 0x0, BaseAddress 0x68570000, RegionSize 0x3A0000, State 0x10000 C:\Program Files (x86)\Git\bin\grep.exe: *** Couldn't reserve space for cygwin's heap, Win32 error 0"
>>
>> This error message is a bit weird.  For one thing, it would be nice if
>> you could give us a pointer to the message.  I'm not aware of such a bug
>> report.
>>
>> Also, this is about a non-Cygwin version of git as the path to the git
>> tools suggests.  On the other hand, if it's not a Cygwin version, the
>> error message itself only makes marginal sense.  So maybe it's a Cygwin
>> DLL as part of some third party package which is often outdated in
>> relation to the official Cygwin distro version.
>>

> Allow me to clarify.
>
> "C:\Program Files (x86)\Git\" is "Git for Windows", AKA "msysgit":
> https://msysgit.github.io/
>
> As explained on README.md, it uses a MSys:
> https://github.com/msysgit/msysgit
>
> And as explained on that README.md, MSys is a fork of an old version of Cygwin.

Public service reminder: "msysgit" is not a MSYS-git. The git program that they
ship is, in fact, a full-fledged port of git to W32 (i.e. mingw-git), which is
achieved by applying lots of patches (~300KB last time i checked) on top of
git. It is, however, bundled with MSYS1, as parts of git are written in shell
language and thus need a POSIX shell. Also, last time i checked the MSYS1
version they shipped itself had a few patches applied on top of it[1].

[1] https://github.com/msysgit/msysgit/tree/msys/src/rt/patches

--
O< ascii ribbon - stop html email! - www.asciiribbon.org