Re: cygwin 2.0.2, make 4.1: stderr redirect append does not work with native Windows programs

On May 12 12:59, Scott McPeak wrote:
I am attaching a reproducer Makefile.  Run "make 2>&1 | cat" to see
the incorrect output:

     $ make 2>&1 | cat
     echo first > output
     echo secondxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx >>
output
     /cygdrive/c/Windows/System32/sort.exe nonexist 2>> output; true
     ----- BEGIN output -----
     nonexistThe system cannot find the file specified.
     xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
     ----- END output -----

The bug happens with both make 4.1 and make 4.0 on cygwin 2.0.2.  It
does not happen with make 3.82.90 and cygwin 1.7.23.  (And that is
my only known workaround: downgrade to cygwin 1.7.)

This appears to be an issue with make 4.  Using make 3.82.90 under
recent Cygwin "fixes" the issue.  "Fixes" in quotes, because this might
be a result of how more recent make versions handle I/O.  This could
be a deliberate decision in terms of flushing output to a file.
Then again, it's rather puzzeling that this affects a file only opened
by the subshell.

Marco, do you see a chance trying to find out why this occurs?

Thanks,
Corinna

I will put in the TODO list, but real job is giving me short time
for the time being.

Marco