This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Seg Fault in strftime
- From: Michael Enright <mike at kmcardiff dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2015 18:47:09 -0700
- Subject: Re: Seg Fault in strftime
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAOC2fq9A1DSjy=7Af=wVCkNEsttpd4Fj-0w_nNwnSb76WFt5WA at mail dot gmail dot com> <loom dot 20150801T233913-448 at post dot gmane dot org>
In reference to your comments below I found this link to a repo of
SpiderMonkey source code.
And the function that calls strftime specifically:
On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 2:47 PM, Brian Inglis wrote:
> Two problems I have encountered in the past with manually constructed struct tm:
> - failing to set struct tm.tm_isdst member to -1, or any negative value, so
> that mktime(3) will determine whether DST is in effect, and set the struct
> tm.tzname array from the tzdb
The code calls strftime after setting tm_isdst from its own struct's
> - failing to call mktime(3) for each struct tm variable to normalize the
> struct tm members, determine if DST is in effect if struct tm.tm_isdst
> member is -1, and set the struct tm.tzname array from the tzdb.
> Check back in the code to see if struct tm.tm_isdst is set and to what
> value, and if mktime(3) is called on each struct tm after it is filled.
The code doesn't call mktime at all.
> - failing to call mktime()
There is a section of the code that I believe is meant to be
configured in but it is not. This code calls localtime_r with a time_t
of zero and copies the resulting tm_gmtoff and tm_zone into the struct
tm that the routine will call strftime on. This code starts at line
to jump to that line.
The things you advocate doing are super-responsible things to do. I
have a huge investment in using this particular library and now I'm
twisting in the wind because someone else appears not to have done all
the super responsible things they should have done.
I have found there is tons of code out there manually filling in
struct tm's and then filing bugs in glibc (not just newlib problem)
when things go wrong. And then without even the courtesy of a citation
of a spec these bugs are resolved WONTFIX because these upstreams
believe they have the right to insist that struct tm's should NEVER
manually be filled in and why would you do it anyway. I think the
minimum struct members specified on POSIX should be considered the API
to any function that reads struct tm, not because POSIX says so but
because it is the way to keep machines from getting pwned through
I originally did my project with a bespoke build of SpiderMonkey
because libmozjs didn't exist on any platform (it also can be found
for Debian which is convenient for me and my some-day customers) but
maintaining a library when it's available prebuilt is not supposed to
be the better option.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple