This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: xorg-server 1.17.2-1 and dexpot - X11 windows disappear
- From: Nem W Schlecht <nemws1 at gmail dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2015 14:29:59 -0500
- Subject: Re: xorg-server 1.17.2-1 and dexpot - X11 windows disappear
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CA+2x6-LC2zuieoegq8BJw3+r3-Xe1m-8-RcZFsJy4VJy1PnOuw at mail dot gmail dot com>
Finally got a little time to test this a little bit. Unfortunately,
all I can really say is that Dexpot gets confused with X11 application
windows with xorg-server 1.17.2-1 but was completely fine/working with
Here's what I did just now to test:
1) Opened up 3 xterms on Desktop 1 of dexpot
2) Created directories 'one', 'two' and 'three' in my home directory
and cd'ed each xterm into these dirs respectively (this ensured that
each xterm has a unique title)
3) Minimized xterm "three" to the status bar in Windows, leaving one
and two alone
4) Switched to desktop 2, waited 3 seconds, switched back to desktop 1
5) xterms "one" and "two" have disappeared. xterm "three" is still in
the status bar and be restored and looks fine
6) ran a 'ps -ef' looking for 'xterm' - I can see all three.
7) dexpot has a 'Desktop Windows' dialog that will list all windows -
even hidden ones. Only xterm "three" shows up in this list.
8) Right clicked on X in the task bar and de-selected "Hide Root
Window" - only xterm "three" shows up - neither of the other 2 do.
Any recommendations on how to test this issue further?
On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 11:18 AM, Nem W Schlecht <email@example.com> wrote:
> Just tried the new 1.17.2-1 xorg-server - server starts fine, can open
> windows, etc.
> I also use Dexpot (http://www.dexpot.de) as a virtual desktop manager.
> When I switch away from a desktop with X11 apps running in it and then
> switch back, all of my windows have disappeared and their icons are no
> longer in the taskbar. If I open up a new window and check my
> processes, the apps are still running.
> I'll do some more debugging and report back, but I wanted to get an
> FYI out. dexpot + Cygwin X11 has worked flawlessly in previous
> Nem W Schlecht firstname.lastname@example.org
> Empyreal Technologies http://www.emptec.com/
> "Perl did the magic. I just waved the wand."
Nem W Schlecht email@example.com
Empyreal Technologies http://www.emptec.com/
"Perl did the magic. I just waved the wand."
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple