Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: Cygwin 2.2.0-1

Greetings, Corinna Vinschen!

> The problem the fix was *supposed* to fix (but it didn't) was to disallow
> incoming $HOME values which are non-POSIX or non-absolute paths.  These
> $HOME values should be disregarded.

> So the idea was:

>   set HOME=foo          <- ignored, set HOME from passwd DB entry
>   set HOME=C:/foo       <- same
>   set HOME=//foo/bar    <- same
>   set HOME=/foo/bar     <- valid, taken

> Right now, when started from a non-Cygwin process, Cygwin takes the
> value of $HOME and simply calls the Win32->POSIX conversion function.
> It does so for a long time, but is that right?  Especially if %HOME% is
> a non-absolute == relative path, the resulting POSIX value of $HOME
> depends on the current directory when starting Cygwin.

> This sounds like a terrible idea to me.

Agree.

> Together with cases like https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2015-07/msg00344.html,
> and the fact that $HOME has no meaning in native Windows (HOMEPATH/HOMEDRIVE
> instead) I'm inclined to think that any incoming $HOME should make sense
> from a POSIX POV, otherwise we take the value from the passwd DB as defined
> by /etc/nsswitch.conf.

> Does anybody have a *good* reason *not* to change this?

For me, it wouldn't change a thing. My %HOME% is pointed to %USERPROFILE%, so
does the nsswitch.conf do the same for Cygwin.
Either way the $HOME is pulled from will point to the same place.

>> That's why I offered to ignore the issue.  That also needs nothing to be
>> done by me, which is an added benefit.  :-)

> That may be the way to go as soon as Cygwin is doing the right thing :}

:)
Do The Right Thing(tm)!

--
With best regards,