This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: Cygwin 2.2.0-1
- From: Andrey Repin <anrdaemon at yandex dot ru>
- To: Nicholas Clark <nicholas dot clark at gmail dot com>, cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2015 03:14:30 +0300
- Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: Cygwin 2.2.0-1
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <announce dot 20150803131950 dot GA18878 at calimero dot vinschen dot de> <55BFB64C dot 1010802 at towo dot net> <20150803192940 dot GA19315 at calimero dot vinschen dot de> <loom dot 20150804T094839-714 at post dot gmane dot org> <895515CC-6BB7-41E7-AEA5-30FBBE071153 at etr-usa dot com> <87wpxac2bj dot fsf at Rainer dot invalid> <20150805075435 dot GP17917 at calimero dot vinschen dot de> <1324339149 dot 20150805194114 at yandex dot ru> <CAKNeuBqe_w79RBcC=iRki7kZeDQdBen85kWuPZESO0SCGaCUAQ at mail dot gmail dot com>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
Greetings, Nicholas Clark!
> I totally agree that setting HOME to a relative-path is probably a Bad
> Idea, and can/should be undefined behavior. As for absolute paths (and
> whether they should be POSIX, Windows, or either), that's a little
> less cut and dry for me.
> I currently use a ton of scripts of the general form:
> @echo off
> @pushd %~dp0
> @set TOP=%CD%
This wraps into
(If at all necessary to wrap it like that.)
> set PATH=C:\Windows\SYSTEM32;C:\Windows
> @set HOME=%TOP%\home\%username%
> @chdir %TOP%\installation\bin
That's just plain wrong and should not be done to begin with.
> @start mintty.exe -e %TOP%\installation\bin\bash.exe --login -i
START /B mintty.exe -
Don't call "EXIT" unless you have no other choice.
> for using Cygwin in a user-level installation to my local directory.
Cygwin don't care, what level you are using it from, as long as the
environment is set up correctly.
> It's not a big deal to go through these and update them if Cygwin
> loses its ability to interpret Windows-style HOME paths, but there are
> probably a lot of users out there who aren't on the mailing list and
> wouldn't know that this change was happening until their installations
> So I'm in camp 'leave it as-is', maybe with the exception of
> disallowing relative paths. :)
I don't know how to say it politely, so I would be blunt: Your setup is wrong.
There's at least two ways to do it right, but none of them is coming close to
what you have right now.
Cygwin offers ability to make all you want pretty straight without any
With best regards,
Thursday, August 6, 2015 03:07:01
Sorry for my terrible english...
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple