This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Package emacs-x11 depends on package dbus-x11, but fails to declare this
- From: Ken Brown <kbrown at cornell dot edu>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2015 14:12:15 -0400
- Subject: Re: Package emacs-x11 depends on package dbus-x11, but fails to declare this
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <trinity-5b204260-ca4d-43e5-b164-36e5c35aefc4-1438698591820 at 3capp-gmx-bs38> <55C0E86C dot 6010805 at cornell dot edu> <55C4C230 dot 9050204 at dronecode dot org dot uk>
On 8/7/2015 10:35 AM, Jon TURNEY wrote:
On 04/08/2015 17:29, Ken Brown wrote:
On 8/4/2015 10:29 AM, Rainer Blome wrote:
Package emacs-x11 depends on package dbus-x11 and should declare this,
but apparently does not.
Please change package emacs-x11 so that it declares its dependency on
When doing a fresh install of Cygwin 64bit, I selected xlaunch,
"emacs-x11" and a few other packages and let the dependency
satisfaction mechanism do its thing.
This resulted in a working X Server
I would say that it didn't result in a working X server in view of the
error message, "D-Bus library appears to be incorrectly set up".
The documentation on the Cygwin/X home page (http://x.cygwin.com/) says
that you should install the xinit package in order to use the Cygwin X
server. And xinit depends on dbus-x11. But not everyone reads the
documentation before installing, so maybe xlaunch should require xinit.
Hmm... not sure about this.
On the one hand, this is really a defect with xlaunch, which doesn't know enough
to do all the things which xinit does (like starting a dbus session bus instance)
On the other hand, just making xlaunch depend on dbus-x11 would solve this problem.
Yes, that would suffice for this particular problem. I was just thinking that
someone who installs xlaunch probably assumes that they'll get whatever they
need for using Cygwin/X. Since the user's guide
xinit as required and xlaunch as optional, having xlaunch require xinit seems
reasonable to me.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple