This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: X Windows disappearing/unmapping (Win10 + 3rd party virtual desktops)
- From: Greywolf <greywolf at starwolf dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 23:11:58 -0700
- Subject: Re: X Windows disappearing/unmapping (Win10 + 3rd party virtual desktops)
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <55D1A466 dot 8060408 at starwolf dot com>
[sorry for the top-quote, but...]
I have a workaround and I apologise for blaming it on cygwin. I think
it's how the unmapping is handled by the desktop manager.
You can close this, I think.
On 15.08.17 02:07, Greywolf wrote:
OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
X11 1.17.2 (x86_64-unknown-cygwin);
package version 1.17.2-1 built 2015-07-09
3rd party virtual desktop managers - have tried with
- dexpot 1.6
- virtuawin 4.3
1. I start mintty, which starts bash.
2. I start an X server; DISPLAY=:0
3. I start an xterm on the local host, to $DISPLAY.
4. I switch to another desktop on the desktop manager.
5. I return to that window, and the xterm window vanishes.
- the processes bound to the window are still running,
as is the xterm itself.
6. I see no way to access or return the window to the desktop.
* even winlister no longer can access the window handle.
The window just hops off the deep end, never to be seen again,
but everything connected with that window remains present.
The only desktop manager it works with is the one that comes with Win10,
but that lacks some features; notably, the ability to directly access a
desktop with a keystroke. It is just not a viable alternative.
WHY I AM SUBMITTING THIS AS A CYGWIN BUG:
Because this happens as a result of using at least two different
non-microsoft desktop managers, and ONLY X11-based applications
are vanishing (xterm plus, as a test, xfd).
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple