This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: X11 Fails to load on WindowsXP normal user
- From: Jon TURNEY <jon dot turney at dronecode dot org dot uk>
- To: "L. D. James" <ljames at apollo3 dot com>, cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 16:35:10 +0100
- Subject: Re: X11 Fails to load on WindowsXP normal user
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <55D3B9F1 dot 7040603 at apollo3 dot com>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
On 19/08/2015 00:04, L. D. James wrote:
I installed Cygwin on Windows XP with X11. I tested it and it works as
Then I logged in as a normal user (not administrator). I get the
following error when trying to X11:
A fatal error has occurred and Cygwin/X will now exit.
Cannot open log file "/var/log/xwin/XWin.1.log"
Please open the logfile for more information.
Vendor: The Cygwin/XProject
Package: version 1.17-2.2build-2015-08-11
XWin was started with the following command-line:
/usr/bin/X :1 -auth /home/user/.serverauth.2872
I performed a fresh install of Windows XP and got the same results.
I found that if I add the user account to Administrators X11 will then
work without errors.
Can someone advise what has to be done to make X11 work with a normal
Thanks for reporting this issue.
It looks like the directory /var/log/xwin/ doesn't have the right
permissions in the package.
You should be able to fix this, until the package is fixed, by doing a
'chmod 0777 /var/log/xwin' (as an Adminstrator user)
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple