This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: X Windows disappearing/unmapping (Win10 + 3rd party virtual desktops)
- From: Jon TURNEY <jon dot turney at dronecode dot org dot uk>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Cc: Greywolf <greywolf at starwolf dot com>, harry at hgac dot com, nemws1 at gmail dot com
- Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 20:10:32 +0100
- Subject: Re: X Windows disappearing/unmapping (Win10 + 3rd party virtual desktops)
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <55D1A466 dot 8060408 at starwolf dot com> <55D2CCAE dot 8040704 at starwolf dot com>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
On 18/08/2015 07:11, Greywolf wrote:
I have a workaround and I apologise for blaming it on cygwin. I think
it's how the unmapping is handled by the desktop manager.
Thanks for reporting this issue.
It seems that a change in 1.17.2-1 had the unintended side-effect of
breaking working with VirtuaWin and Dexpot (windows which were hidden
when switching to another virtual desktop become lost)
While this can probably be worked-around in the virtual desktop software
configuration, I'd like to try to fix it.
I've built a snapshot with a potential fix. Perhaps you could try that
and see if it improves things for you?
On 15.08.17 02:07, Greywolf wrote:
OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
X11 1.17.2 (x86_64-unknown-cygwin);
package version 1.17.2-1 built 2015-07-09
3rd party virtual desktop managers - have tried with
- dexpot 1.6
- virtuawin 4.3
1. I start mintty, which starts bash.
2. I start an X server; DISPLAY=:0
3. I start an xterm on the local host, to $DISPLAY.
4. I switch to another desktop on the desktop manager.
5. I return to that window, and the xterm window vanishes.
- the processes bound to the window are still running,
as is the xterm itself.
6. I see no way to access or return the window to the desktop.
* even winlister no longer can access the window handle.
The window just hops off the deep end, never to be seen again,
but everything connected with that window remains present.
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple