This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: setup-x86_64.exe Unable to get setup.ini on all mirrors
- From: Michael Enright <mike at kmcardiff dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 11:35:56 -0700
- Subject: Re: setup-x86_64.exe Unable to get setup.ini on all mirrors
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <55D5E2D2 dot 1040308 at bellsouth dot net> <55D9C8F2 dot 4090608 at bellsouth dot net> <op dot x3tp58g9ofd6j1 at nebbiolo dot upc dot de> <55DA140D dot 5080805 at bellsouth dot net> <op dot x3ug2yjjofd6j1 at nebbiolo dot upc dot de> <55DB02CC dot 9080808 at bellsouth dot net> <87r3mshb8f dot fsf at Rainer dot invalid> <55DB5151 dot 8020507 at bellsouth dot net> <877fokh9be dot fsf at Rainer dot invalid> <55DB586C dot 2040705 at bellsouth dot net>
On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 10:46 AM, Dennis Putnam wrote:
> On 8/24/2015 1:42 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
>> Dennis Putnam writes:
>>> Again keeping in mind
>>> that my browser has no trouble finding URLs, I tried 'nslookup' from a
>>> command prompt and it can find nothing. The error is no response from
>>> server. This happens with all the name servers I tried. It makes no
>>> sense the the browser can find IPs but 'nslookup' cannot.
>> It would make sense if it was using a proxy. So what happens if you
>> tell setup to use the IE proxy settings?
> There is no proxy. This was working for a couple of years with no
> problem. It was not until that Lavasoft Malware was installed that this
> all started.
>From what I could learn about the products of that company in 5
minutes, the symptoms you report make sense if the software you
thought you had removed remains installed. My guess is the software
concerns itself with maintaining connectivity (and of course doing the
things that are classified as malware) as long as the connectivity is
done through a browser, or other things whitelisted by the software.
Since nslookup and setup-x86_64 are not the browser, the software
blocks them. The software is not interested in things that enable you
to do non-browser things. Have you rescanned your system? Which
software is still using the internet successfully?
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple