Re: Why not generate the .bashrc automatically under home diretory

Greetings, kuaf!

> I used the latest [setup-x86_64.exe][1] to set up cygwin environment.

> I wanted my /home directory to point to c:\Users rather than the
> out-of-the-box home directory created by cygwin.

> My current solution is to just mount it in fstab with the following line:

> c:/Users /home ntfs binary,posix=0,nouser

And what if your profile directory name doesn't match your profile name?
Do it the right way.

/etc/nsswitch.conf:

passwd: db
group: db

db_home: desc windows

Oh, and don't forget 'noacl' on /cygdrive.
It is a VERY bad idea to stomp your profile directory with strict POSIX
permissions. Not every application is ready to accept them, you may even lose
the ability to open documents through associations.

> After refresh installing and change the fstab above, then startup mintty.
> But, I didn't see .bashrc/.profile/.inputrc/.bash_profile was
> generated automatically under home directory. I mean the `/etc/skel/*`
> files would be copied to home direcotry.

This is a standard POSIX behavior, if user directory exists, it will never be
touched. If you need the skeleton files updated, you can do it yourself.
If you need default files distributed, place them into default user profile.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...