This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Early Deprecation Notice: Windows XP and Server 2003 support
- From: Andrey Repin <anrdaemon at yandex dot ru>
- To: Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail dot com>, cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 16:42:55 +0300
- Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Early Deprecation Notice: Windows XP and Server 2003 support
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20150826115109 dot DC166300 dot helmut dot karlowski at ish dot de> <49A5ECFF7A0A419F829D58F760F8DDA3 at NCC1701> <20150826125618 dot 56814D38 dot helmut dot karlowski at ish dot de> <20150826112652 dot GF5046 at calimero dot vinschen dot de> <232266374 dot 20150826152309 at yandex dot ru> <CANnLRdgqmyasm7o64y-OkDPoYUPVHbgkeJ2twVE=qHodNMokzw at mail dot gmail dot com>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
Greetings, Stephen John Smoogen!
>> Anyway, on the topic: All I could ask is to give us a notice when the final
>> build for XP is available, so that we could prepare own mirrors.
> You will need more than mirrors. You will need to set up a parallel
> stack of builders and other tools because this will be a fork of
> anything compiled against Cygwin from then on. You will also need to
> look at how you are handling any bugs or problems utilities have in
> rebuilding (but that is a longer term issue). Having had to do this in
> the past, it will be better if you try to call this something
> different. The reason being is that if you keep the name then when a
> support ticket comes in from a user with Cygwin is it yours.. is it
> the one they downloaded from the main site.. is it a version in
You're misunderstanding my daily use of Cygwin. I'm not compiling anything,
not cygwin-related anyway.
I'm using it as a bridging gap between sane scripting abilities of dash/make
and insane requirements of compiling tools such as BRCC.
And since Vista+ doesn't have support for 16-bit subsystem, I need XP VM to
compile my projects.
With best regards,
Wednesday, August 26, 2015 16:40:31
Sorry for my terrible english...
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple