This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Early Deprecation Notice: Windows XP and Server 2003 support
- From: Andrey Repin <anrdaemon at yandex dot ru>
- To: Corinna Vinschen <cygwin at cygwin dot com>, cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 02:42:32 +0300
- Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Early Deprecation Notice: Windows XP and Server 2003 support
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20150826115109 dot DC166300 dot helmut dot karlowski at ish dot de> <49A5ECFF7A0A419F829D58F760F8DDA3 at NCC1701> <20150826125618 dot 56814D38 dot helmut dot karlowski at ish dot de> <20150826112652 dot GF5046 at calimero dot vinschen dot de> <232266374 dot 20150826152309 at yandex dot ru> <20150826142637 dot GG5046 at calimero dot vinschen dot de>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
Greetings, Corinna Vinschen!
> On Aug 26 15:23, Andrey Repin wrote:
>> Greetings, Corinna Vinschen!
>> > On Aug 26 12:56, Helmut Karlowski wrote:
>> >> > > Guess that's better than to stick with the kludges, migration to 10 is
>> >> > > on the way.
>> >> > From what I've seen and heard W10, while mostly stable, still coerces users
>> >> > towards the software as (an expensive) service model and follows the dictum
>> >> > that Microsoft knows more about what you want than you do (default saves to
>> >> > microsoft cloud storage, grabs your pictures for background slide show
>> >> > without asking, etc.).
>> >> I hope I can customize it to behave like XP (only the goodies of
>> >> course).
>> > http://classicshell.net
>> That doesn't solve the hotkeys bound at driver levels, unfortunately.
>> Half of my keyboard dead now thanks to the move to Win7.
> I don't understand this one. Quick explanation, please, even if it's OT?
I was using Win+Arrows to switch between virtual desktops, and
Shift+Win+Arrows to move windows between desktops.
But SUDDENLY Microsoft decided that having such freedom is too much for the
user, or perhaps it was considered a security risk, I don't know.
I can no longer use these keys in userland.
Even if I disable the idiotic functionality that is bound to them by default,
I can't use these keys for anything else.
With best regards,
Thursday, August 27, 2015 02:38:48
Sorry for my terrible english...
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple