This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Some programs (vi, ssh) crash when screen buffer height is big
- From: "Larry Hall (Cygwin)" <reply-to-list-only-lh at cygwin dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 20:53:32 -0400
- Subject: Re: Some programs (vi, ssh) crash when screen buffer height is big
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAHV8iDH4pG0FoGrckc36atQUV+SWOnryJ-zBDK92HTGgPRC=Ew at mail dot gmail dot com> <26A19798-1F20-4D52-A311-C8312E0D4621 at etr-usa dot com> <CAHV8iDGU8tN+58LR10e3zHxiEsr5ekXrKrLeyYRAD0tx0H6B1A at mail dot gmail dot com> <6DC9320F-4DCC-47E4-AB8C-3158EBD6260E at etr-usa dot com> <CAHV8iDFauqCe-aKZB6Ba1oJbOvvOr7M19ZyJJVu-t8DQ46f=ug at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAN=he+XN0qiLjm+K+0Qr13=GqtvAyJSArdFh873++1=dTjP35Q at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAHV8iDH=FL3XQ0OrK0pzLPOP+7-VK88HvD2_k2zzWZTc+hyXdw at mail dot gmail dot com> <55DC9C55 dot 9090404 at gmail dot com> <CAHV8iDEw1fp4-yXLd1sjKMvKvCzemuEFNbUy4FJ-zvxWQZC26g at mail dot gmail dot com>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
On 08/27/2015 11:39 AM, Sous Lesquels wrote:
Thanks cyg Simple.
It depends on the level of support you want from this list
In this case, if Cygwin is supposed to work with the regular windows
console? If mintty was created due to Cygwin *not working as expected*
on default windows console, that's a good answer, as long as it's
correct. If Cygwin *should* work on default windows console, then I
would appreciate someone explaining if there's a workaround, if this
would be considered a candidate for development any time soon, things
I don't expect anything. I'm not paying others to develop. I do hope
the bugs are fixed, one way or another, as I use Cywgin daily, so of
course I'd like it to work in an environment I have and like.
I think you're misunderstanding where the limitation is coming from.
The console itself is limited in functionality compared to what's
expected of a terminal. Cygwin can only do so much to smooth out
those limitations. This particular issue is a corner case, perhaps
an extreme corner case. If there is some work-around that could be
found and/or implemented, it's probably of limited value in general
so it's likely that someone with the itch will need to chase
this down and implement a workaround if possible. Besides that, the
alternatives are to side-step the console limitations by using mintty
or take this upstream to ComEmu or MS.
> Q: Are you sure?
>> A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
>>> Q: Why is top posting annoying in email?
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple