This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: feature request: easier "auto select a close mirror for me"
- From: Andrey Repin <anrdaemon at yandex dot ru>
- To: Roger Pack <rogerdpack2 at gmail dot com>, cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 21:23:05 +0300
- Subject: Re: feature request: easier "auto select a close mirror for me"
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAL1QdWcW+w0_ag6wfgkyT0gzELnwY2BnYnWwmGV23XRg2ZPZ2A at mail dot gmail dot com>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
Greetings, Roger Pack!
> It would be awesome if the top option for servers were "auto select
> closest" or something like that.
How would it know where you are located and how do you define "closest"?
The mirrors that are "close" to me give worst speed comparing to the ones
across the ocean.
> Possibly a web server that would do the redirects for you [?] (or you
> could do local pings and see which one answers quickest). Possibly
> like what VLC does for its distro's  or some other offering already
> Related, it would be nice to have a command line option for unattended
> install that were "--auto-select-server" for the downloads...
With best regards,
Friday, August 28, 2015 21:22:02
Sorry for my terrible english...
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple