This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: feature request: easier "auto select a close mirror for me"
- From: Jack <ostroffjh at users dot sourceforge dot net>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 16:04:50 -0400
- Subject: Re: feature request: easier "auto select a close mirror for me"
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAL1QdWcW+w0_ag6wfgkyT0gzELnwY2BnYnWwmGV23XRg2ZPZ2A at mail dot gmail dot com> <18474984 dot 20150828212305 at yandex dot ru>
On 2015.08.28 14:23, Andrey Repin wrote:
Greetings, Roger Pack!
> It would be awesome if the top option for servers were "auto select
> closest" or something like that.
How would it know where you are located and how do you define
The mirrors that are "close" to me give worst speed comparing to the
across the ocean.
I wouldn't make it part of setup.exe, but a separate tool, like Arch
Linux's mirrorselect. It finds the server with the best response, or
perhaps the best N servers. Yes, "best response" is subject to
interpretation, but some combination of low latency and fastest
download of some (small?) test file, perhaps.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple