This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Issues encountered with new Cygwin version
- From: "Walter L." <bournenoir at hotmail dot com>
- To: "Linda Walsh" <cygwin at tlinx dot org>, <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2015 09:21:47 -0400
- Subject: Re: Issues encountered with new Cygwin version
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <BLU182-W10FB6B21A2AEC90F71470FD4450 at phx dot gbl> <154887677 dot 20150923111537 at yandex dot ru> <BLU182-DS2B4F831FEB7E4C1B67330D4440 at phx dot gbl> <56036256 dot 8080209 at tlinx dot org> <BLU182-DS2567923242507AF88D9315D4430 at phx dot gbl> <56037F66 dot 40209 at tlinx dot org>
> > > > I believe the target of the symlink should be "protocol" (i.e.
> > > > singular)
> > >
> > > Err. That is. How did no one found it earlier?
> > ---
> > Because it is plural on unix/linux? MS seems to have misspelt it?
> I believe it's "misspelt" due to the 8 character limit for legacy file
How would that affect 'services'?
Sorry, you lost me. 'services' has 8 characters in the file name and so is
its symlink target; That shouldn't be an issue. Of the 4 symlinks under
/etc/ (i.e. networks, hosts, services, and protocols), only 'protocols'
exceeds the 8 character limit and hence the actual target file in
Windows/System32/drivers/etc/ is 'protocol'. NOTE: I'm talking about the
*target* file not the symlinks themselves, which are fine.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple