This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Issues encountered with new Cygwin version
- From: Ken Brown <kbrown at cornell dot edu>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2015 11:23:22 -0400
- Subject: Re: Issues encountered with new Cygwin version
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <BLU182-W10FB6B21A2AEC90F71470FD4450 at phx dot gbl> <154887677 dot 20150923111537 at yandex dot ru> <BLU182-DS2B4F831FEB7E4C1B67330D4440 at phx dot gbl> <56036256 dot 8080209 at tlinx dot org> <BLU182-DS2567923242507AF88D9315D4430 at phx dot gbl> <56037F66 dot 40209 at tlinx dot org> <BLU182-DS177F609D3B4BC69A880C77D4430 at phx dot gbl> <56042985 dot 2040104 at tlinx dot org> <BLU182-DS23E73EC671521B950E6875D4420 at phx dot gbl>
On 9/25/2015 11:01 AM, Walter L. wrote:
On 24/09/2015 07:35, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> 2) The 'touch' command creates a file with the executable bit set
> [user@hostname ~]$ touch newfile.txt
> [user@hostname ~]$ ls -l newfile.txt
> -rwxrwx---+ 1 user Domain Users 0 Sep 22 17:21 newfile.txt
It likely depends on the inherited permissions from the directory
BINGO! Looks like starting 1.7.34 the file permissions were "fixed" to
exhibit this new behavior
reverting back to 1.7.33 I was able to get the previous behavior back.
This is very unfortunate because I'm using Git in Cygwin specifically
because it doesn't set the executable bit like Windows applications.
With this new behavior, trying to rebase or cherry-pick causes merge
conflicts because any file touched by Git will have the executable bit
set. Additionally, trying to do a 'reset --hard' doesn't work anymore
since the executable bit stays on with the new file permission behavior,
so you'll never really return to the previous state.
Yes, I can always set 'filemode=false' to ignore file permissions, but I
still want to be able to enforce the correct file mode upon commits.
I think you misunderstood what Marco was saying. If the problem is
caused by the default ACL on the directory, you could fix that ACL.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple