This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Cygwin man does not recognise PerlRE ?
- From: Warren Young <wyml at etr-usa dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 14:26:19 -0600
- Subject: Re: Cygwin man does not recognise PerlRE ?
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <19032584 dot 20151016193336 at yandex dot ru>
On Oct 16, 2015, at 10:33 AM, Andrey Repin <email@example.com> wrote:
> Is there a possibility to build man for Cygwin with PerlRE support?
Iâm curious: what sort of incantations do you frequently give to man which involve REs?
Maybe Iâm just too old-school, but I wasnât aware that modern man programs even supported REs. Back when I was a boy, we said âman -k whatsitâ and we liked it! :)
I think if I wanted to grep man pages with Perl syntax, Iâd say
grep -PRsl whatsit /usr/share/man
Poking around on machines near me, I see Lucifrediâs version of man â which doesnât seem to support regexes â on OS X 10.10, FreeBSD 10.1, and CentOS 5. Apparently RHEL moved to man-db in EL6 or EL7, since itâs on an EL7 box nearby.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple