This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Cygwin man does not recognise PerlRE ?
- From: Andrey Repin <anrdaemon at yandex dot ru>
- To: Warren Young <wyml at etr-usa dot com>, cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2015 03:21:23 +0300
- Subject: Re: Cygwin man does not recognise PerlRE ?
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <19032584 dot 20151016193336 at yandex dot ru> <BC27919D-E6DD-490B-B682-D6EA77759373 at etr-usa dot com>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
Greetings, Warren Young!
> On Oct 16, 2015, at 10:33 AM, Andrey Repin <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
>> Is there a possibility to build man for Cygwin with PerlRE support?
> Iâm curious: what sort of incantations do you frequently give to man which involve REs?
Typical ones. F.e.
to quickly find term references.
> Maybe Iâm just too old-school, but I wasnât aware that modern man programs
> even supported REs. Back when I was a boy, we said âman -k whatsitâ and we liked it! :)
> I think if I wanted to grep man pages with Perl syntax, Iâd say
> grep -PRsl whatsit /usr/share/man
> Poking around on machines near me, I see Lucifrediâs version of man â which
> doesnât seem to support regexes â on OS X 10.10, FreeBSD 10.1, and CentOS 5.
> Apparently RHEL moved to man-db in EL6 or EL7, since itâs on an EL7 box nearby.
With best regards,
Saturday, October 17, 2015 03:18:02
Sorry for my terrible english...