This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Why package cache is not used during setup download?
- From: Andrey Repin <anrdaemon at yandex dot ru>
- To: Aleksey Midenkov <midenok at gmail dot com>, cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 14:48:31 +0300
- Subject: Re: Why package cache is not used during setup download?
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAF8BazAy7x2Nxeb6P=ns7=Dy5ENzd=Cg0oKxJjDtBg0JzGjM-g at mail dot gmail dot com> <133366775 dot 20151025170018 at yandex dot ru> <CAF8BazBBFrCdPLJMw2ZiuSx_syLLqq7MMwWrsCM+CqE8Y9e4Tw at mail dot gmail dot com>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
Greetings, Aleksey Midenkov!
>>> Cygwin setup process my turn to endless retry-error on bad internet
>>> channels, because:
>>> 1. setup doesn't know how to retry download (why it fails to download anyway?);
>> Because your internet is bad?
> On the second thought I believe that the problem is with setup.exe
> itself. Because:
> a) I tried different mirrors. It always fails in somewhere between
> 80-90% (of total progress).
> b) I never noticed any problems with downloading files except with
> Cygwin. Gigabyte-sized files via http are downloading without fail.
If you get consistent results from different mirrors (and since you're the
only person reporting it), my second thought is that it is a local issue.
Overly zealous antivirus/firewall coming to mind.
>>> 2. setup doesn't use cache of previously downloaded files and always
>>> redownload all packages from the beginning.
>> It do use cache, if checksum is correct.
> Hmmm, on setup.ini doc says:
> install: filename size-in-bytes MD5 sum
As David pointed out already, MD5 hash proven weak and is no longer used in
With best regards,
Monday, October 26, 2015 14:45:39
Sorry for my terrible english...
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple