Re: does anyone care about package minor version bump announcements?

Greetings, Andrew Schulman!

> Lately I find myself feeling quite unmotivated about writing a mostly
> boilerplate announcement every time I upload a minor version bump of a
> package I maintain.

Then automate the announces! Let stupid hardware do stupid work.
It was designed to do exactly that!

> "stow has been updated from version 2.2.0 to 2.2.2.  You can read the
> upstream changelog to see what changed.  stow is blah blah blah"

> Does anyone care about that?  Lately I don't.  In fact I've skipped sending
> the last few, and no one seems to have noticed.

> Can we leave it to the maintainer's discretion about whether they need to
> send one of those on every update?  Maybe it already is, and I didn't know.
> Of course some updates are important or need explanation or a headsup, and
> then the maintainer should send one.

IMHO, the announcements are useful to track version history.
Unless there's some other comparable source, they are useful for archival
purposes.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin