Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 2.4.0-0.12

Corinna Vinschen writes:
> For the time being, yes.  I think I documented this in
> https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html.

I've found it.

> The windows UIs show the
> owner of a file knowning the server to fetch the user info from.  Cygwin
> doesn't ATM, since the entire functionality to fetch the info is hidden
> behind the getpwXXX/getgrXXX calls, which have no idea where this call
> is coming from.  For the time being, create /etc/passwd and /etc/group
> entries for your other machines.  Patches welcome to extend the getpw/
> getgr functionality to fetch user info from non-local/non-AD machines.

That doesn't really work, I'm afraid.  If I do this, the UID get mapped
to the same space and stomp all over each other.  What is my user on one
machine is cyg_server on another and sshd on the third.  When I remove
the entries in the passwd file then I'm back to somwhow knowing that
this SID comes from another machine, but no way to know which.  Even for
those machines where my RID is the same, this gets mapped to
Unknown+User and Unknown+Group.  Somehow I'd need to be able to specify
a shift for each machine in order to tell them apart in the passwd/group
files, it seems.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld: