Re: Error installing/updating Cygwin on Windows 10

On 1/24/2016 5:31 PM, Duncan Roe wrote:
On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 05:09:54PM -0500, Maarten Jacobs wrote:
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2016 09:02:07 +1100
From: duncan_roe@acslink.net.au
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: FW: Error installing/updating Cygwin on Windows 10

On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 02:30:34PM -0500, Maarten Jacobs wrote:
Hello,

I have been getting the following error when I update/install
packages  in Cygwin (32-bit) on Windows 10:

Package: _/Unknown package
base-files-mketc.sh exit code 1

When I look at /var/log/setup.log.full, it gives me the following
cryptic error message:

2016/01/24 14:21:35 running: C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe --norc --noprofile "/etc/postinstall/base-files-mketc.sh"
Directory /cygdrive/c/Windows/SysWOW64/drivers/etc does not exist; exiting
If directory name is garbage you need to update your cygwin package
2016/01/24 14:21:35 abnormal exit: exit code=1

Hi Martin,

I got that message yesterday. It went away when I created the etc directory
(from an Admin CMD window), suggest you do likewise.

Cheers ... Duncan.

Hi Duncan,

Thanks for the suggestion, but this is not a solution for me as /etc
(/cygwin/etc) already exists and has been populated with the packages that I
have installed so far.

I omitted to mention in my original email that even though the error
is  presented every time I make a change to my Cygwin installation, it does not
appear to affect the operation of Cygwin in any way - at least I have not
run into any unexpected behavior yet.
Thanks,

Maarten

Hi Maarten.

I meant you need to create C:\Windows\SysWOW64\drivers\etc i.e. (in DOS / CMD
window with Admin privilege):
cd C:\Windows\SysWOW64\drivers
mkdir etc
I agree there seem to be no ill effects from the error except the nuisance of
having an error popup.

The nuisance and the error itself should no longer occur.  If you use the
latest Cygwin package, you won't see this error.  You don't need to create
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\drivers\etc.  If you're seeing this error, please follow
the problem reporting guidelines from the link below to report the problem.

<http://cygwin.com/problems.html>

--
Larry