Re: Crash X11 with 3 commands

On 11/12/2015 16:21, Nem W Schlecht wrote:
I was experimenting with Xterm escape sequences - trying to
resize/reposition a window while its iconized and found I can crash
X11 in just 3 escape commands in an Xterm (which I have in a shell
script):

#!/bin/bash -x

# Iconify window
echo -ne "\e[2t"

# Set height/width to 36x80 and position at +100+100
# If I do just one of these X11 does *not* crash

# Resize to 36x80.  This one doesn't work, even if I run just it
# by itself so X11 doesn't crash.  Also, this one has to be first.
# If I re-position, then change geometry, it doesn't crash.
echo -ne "\e[8;36;80t"

# The re-position, next, actually does work behind the scenes,
# if I run just this alone and then de-iconify manually, its in the
# correct position.
echo -ne "\e[3;100;100t"

# To de-iconify (doesn't work in Cygwin anyways, unfortunately)
echo -ne "\e[1t"

Can anybody else confirm?  (WARNING - if it does, it'll kill all your
X11 windows!  Be careful.)

Thanks for reporting this.

I was able to reproduce the crash (sporadically), but only when I was using XWin with the -compositewm option. Are you using that?

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer