Re: Cygwin 1.7-58 with windows 2008

On Mar 23, 2016, at 10:20 PM, Rashi Singhal <singhal.rashi@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there any other procedure for building an older release of cygwin.

Cygwin is not GCC Ada, nor vice versa.

Iâm being pedantic because youâre referencing Cygwin build instructions but having trouble with a third-party package.  You may have the version of GCC Ada that was distributed at the same time that Cygwin 1.7.0-58 was current, but that doesnât mean that version of Cygwinâs build instructions are relevant to GCC Ada.

You need to read the README and INSTALL files that came with GCC Ada.

Iâve never built GCC Ada from source â or used it as a binary, for that matter â but Iâll go through your config.log file and see what I can see.

> Invocation command line was
>
>   $ /oss/src/configure --prefix=/oss/install -v

That seems very odd.

First, it implies that you have unpacked the Cygwin GCC Ada source package into /oss/src.  It should be unpacked into a directory named gcc-ada-*, shouldnât it?

Second, running a GNU autoconf configure script from a directory other than the source tree means you get a separate build tree.  GCC Ada should be able to be built that way, but usually the pattern looks different from what you show.  That implies that you havenât read the GCC Ada build instructions.

> uname -v = 2009-08-13 17:52

Well, thatâs a good sign.  It implies that you have gotten Cygwin 1.7.0-58 built and are building underneath it.  Are you using a contemporaneous version of all the other tools?  Shell, make, gcc, newlib, libbfd, etc.?

What Iâm getting at is, by this point you should have a standalone basic Cygwin 1.7 environment, no longer dependent on any Cygwin 2.x DLLs, tools, etc.  Do you?

> configure:3288: gcc --version </dev/null >&5
> gcc (GCC) 4.3.2 20080827 (beta) 2

It looks like you donât have a standalone environment yet.

According to the Cygwin Time Machine, Cygwin was still shipping GCC 3.4.4 at that time.

Which reminds me: why are you building from source and not using the binaries from the Cygwin Time Machine?

Even if you want to build from source eventually, you should rebuild everything using contemporaneous tools, not modern ones.

> configure:4175: g++ -c -g -O2  conftest.cc >&5
> conftest.cc:9: error: 'void std::exit(int)' should have been declared inside 'std'
> In file included from conftest.cc:10:
> /usr/include/stdlib.h:80: error: declaration of 'void std::exit(int)' throws different exceptions
> conftest.cc:9: error: from previous declaration 'void std::exit(int) throw ()'
> configure:4181: $? = 1

Thatâs the sort of error you get when trying to build old (7 years!) sources with current tools.