Re: Conflict between Cygwin 1.7 and Ubuntu for Windows 14316

Gerrit Haase scripsit:

> Seems to be a permission issue, can you provide the output of:
>
> icacls file1
> icacls file2

Here they are:

cowan@large-skunk ~
$ icacls file1
file1 NULL SID:(DENY)(Rc,S,X,DC)
      LARGE-SKUNK\cowan:(R,W,D,WDAC,WO)
      NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(DENY)(S,X)
      BUILTIN\Administrators:(DENY)(S,X)
      LARGE-SKUNK\cowan:(R)
      NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(RX,W)
      BUILTIN\Administrators:(RX,W)
      Everyone:(R)

Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files

cowan@large-skunk ~
$ icacls file2
file2 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(F)
      BUILTIN\Administrators:(F)
      LARGE-SKUNK\cowan:(F)

Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files

So apparently the SID used by the UoW subsystem is not one that has
read access.

Andrey Repin scripsit:

> Remove your symlink in the /home directory and use nsswitch.conf to configure
> your home directory location.

I assume you mean fstab.  I removed the symlink, created a directory, and
set the fstab entry for just my home directory to "noacl".  Then I created
file3 from Cygwin, and icacls reports:

cowan@large-skunk ~
$ icacls file3
file3 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(F)
      BUILTIN\Administrators:(F)
      LARGE-SKUNK\cowan:(F)

So that works for all files created in the future, but doesn't do anything
for all the files I already have in Cygwin.

> Then set cygdrive to noacl and try again.

I have set both / and /cygdrive to noacl, so now I can read any newly
created file anywhere on the disk, but existing files are as inaccessible
as ever.  I suspect it is the NULL SID: (DENY) entry that is causing the
problem.  Why does Cygwin do that?  My umask is 022, so all files should
be world readable.

I'm now running "icacls . /reset /t /c /l /q" from /cygdrive/c/cygwin,
which takes real time but should dispose of the problem once and for all.

However, either Cygwin should be more selective about the ACEs it creates,
or UoW should use SIDs somewhat more intelligently.

--
John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan@ccil.org
"Make a case, man; you're full of naked assertions, just like Nietzsche."