Re: Don't descend into a flame war. was: Re: native Linux userland in Windows 10

On 4/18/2016 1:44 AM, Herbert Stocker wrote:
> On 17.04.2016 23:27, Andrey Repin wrote:
>> Greetings, John Cowan!
>>
>>> Andrey Repin scripsit:

>>> I always have 2-3 shells running,
>>
>> Having shells running, and having 2-3 shells start between a request
>> and the
>> result is not quite the same thing, don't you think?
>>
>>> more if I am editing a lot of files.
>>
>> Having shells running for file editing? Sorry, what year you are
>> living in?
>
> Editors like vim and others do have advances that other editors don't
> have. It's not a question of year, it's a question of preference.
> And of whether one goes over a high learning curve (like you also did,
> i know) or a shallow one and stays there. (like some i have to do with
> daily).

All editors are the color of blue, it's the shade of blue that you're
talking about. :D  When I first started working the only editor being
used by the ones that came before me was a line editor.  After I was
employed and started using a visual editor that incorporated a macro key
command everyone else came to me to learn that editor.  The point of an
editor is to do editing, some of those editors allow that to happen in a
faster fashion.  The faster you can produce the better you look to the
employer or client.

>>> But you live in a GUI world and I live in a CLI world.
>>
>> WHAT?
>
> i for example live in both worlds. GUI for many things, and CLI for
> those things where the GUI exposes its shortcomings. That's why i say
> Cygwin makes that OS complete.

A friend of mine says "Those who prefer a GUI have no CLUI."  You can
often be faster using CLUI (or CLI) than with a GUI.

>>> And no, cmd does not count as a shell.
>>
>> And yes, it do counts as a shell. By definition.
>>
> Using cmd to argue about cli is a mistake.

Again, cmd.exe is a shell that can be executed within the MinTTY
terminal.  Windows provides a default terminal for the cmd shell.  But
you're correct it is off topic.

--
cyg Simple