Re: native Linux userland in Windows 10

On 21. 4. 2016 18:01, John Cowan wrote:
> David Macek scripsit:
>
>> You're assuming LSW will become pre-installed on these workstations and
>> UoW will become a Windows Store "app". I'm not saying it can't happen,
>> but it seems unlikely at the moment.
>
> Why unlikely?  That is exactly what is the case, if you are running
> the current alpha build of Windows 10.

Build #14316? You have to switch to developer mode, then install the subsystem which is a "Windows feature". Both require administrator privileges IIRC. Then you can run `bash` or `lxrun /install` to download the Ubuntu tarball, allegedly from the Store.

Until I can go to the Store app on a clean Windows install, write "Ubuntu" and click on Install, I won't consider UoW as "available through the Windows Store" as Warren Young wrote.

--
David Macek