This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Proposed patch for web site: update most links to HTTPS
- From: Andrey Repin <anrdaemon at yandex dot ru>
- To: Brian Clifton <brian at clifton dot me>, cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 08:49:18 +0300
- Subject: Re: Proposed patch for web site: update most links to HTTPS
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <BL2PR03MB228A4FE7B2CCA51E5FF5163DF610 at BL2PR03MB228 dot namprd03 dot prod dot outlook dot com> <1074467721 dot 20160425030008 at yandex dot ru> <BL2PR03MB22817533DCF96CD385BD883DF620 at BL2PR03MB228 dot namprd03 dot prod dot outlook dot com>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
Greetings, Brian Clifton!
Please don't top-post. thanks.
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Andrey Repin [mailto:email@example.com]
> Sent: Sunday, April 24, 2016 5:00 PM
> To: Brian Clifton <firstname.lastname@example.org>; email@example.com
> Subject: Re: Proposed patch for web site: update most links to HTTPS
>> Greetings, Brian Clifton!
>>> Hi folks,
>>> I have a proposed change for the web site. This patch (see below) will
>>> update most of the urls to HTTPS. In many cases there was a redirect;
>>> for those I captured the new canonical address.
>> Please no.
> Can you please elaborate on why? I'm confused on why you prefer that Cygwin
> links users to non-secure versions of pages? (which in many cases will be
> redirected anyways).
I prefer it not forcing either, and only force secure connection, when absolutely
necessary. I.e. when downloading the setup binary.
> Links which ONLY work on http *have not* been changed and there are no other
> changes in this patch.
Secure connections been painfully slow and just annoying, when all you need is
a quick glance at the documentation.
All internal links must be relative to the domain and not force either
protocol or the domain name.
With best regards,
Monday, April 25, 2016 08:45:10
Sorry for my terrible english...
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple