Re: nm for .exe extensions?

Warren Young-2 wrote
> On May 24, 2016, at 6:43 AM, Benjamin Cao <

> becao@

> > wrote:
>> The executable, when run with nm in Cygwin, results in a "no symbols"
>> result, whereas it generates a symbol table in unix.
> Thatâs not what I see here.  Given hello.c containing a âHello, world!â
> program:
>   $ make hello
>   cc     hello.c   -o hello
>   $ nm hello.exe | wc -l
>   389
> If I strip the exe, I get âNo symbols,â as expected.  Thereâs no reason a
> finished executable should have much in the way of exported symbols
> without debug info, since it is self-contained.  You would only expect to
> get useful output from nm on a stripped binary if itâs an object file or a
> DLL.

Hi, I'm picking this issue up from my colleague, Ben Cao.  We're using
Visual Studio C++ to compile the executables/objects.  Is the issue that
Visual Studio places the information in the .pdb file?  That's why nm
doesn't display any info on an *.exe ?

Sent from the Cygwin list mailing list archive at