Re: git 2.8.3 spurious output

On 6/8/2016 10:19 AM, Cufi, Carles wrote:

On 6/8/2016 9:57 AM, Cufi, Carles wrote:
Hi there,

On 6/8/2016 5:35 AM, Cufi, Carles wrote:

When running git 2.8.3 with certain of its commands (submodule for
example) I get spurious output on the terminal:

cacu ~/src/nordic/gh/pc-ble-driver-py (master) $ git submodule deinit .
': not a valid line 88: export: `displaypath Cleared
directory ''
': not a valid line 88: export: `name
': not a valid line 88: export: `url
': not a valid line 88: export: `displaypath
Submodule '' () unregistered for path ''

The variables referenced above (displaypath, name, url) seem to be part
of the git-submodule script in /usr/libexec/git-core.

It looks like output lines are being overwritten, which suggests that
you have DOS line endings somewhere (maybe in git-submodule?). For
example, there seems to be a reference to line 88 of,
partially overwritten by something else. (Notice that git-submodule
calls eval_gettext many times; the latter is defined in

That's one of the first thing I tried, I ran:

$ dos2unix /usr/libexec/git-core/git-submodule

But the spurious output is still there.

There doesn't seem to be a /usr/bin/ in my Cygwin

I see that you have some msys stuff in your path. Do you have
there? ('which' should find it.)

Yep, that's it!

$ which

So what's the better way of fixing this? Making /mingw/bin/ have UNIX line endings or replacing it with the proper Cygwin that I seem to be missing?

One solution would be to install Cygwin's gettext package, so that Cygwin's precedes MinGW's in your path. (Note that git doesn't require gettext; it's not needed because git-sh-i18n provides a definition of eval_gettext on systems that don't have it.

In general, however, it seems to me that you're asking for trouble by having MinGW binaries in your path while working in Cygwin.