Re: stty icrnl

On Jun 8, 2016, at 9:04 AM, Andrey Repin wrote:

>> Brian Inglis writes:
>
>>> Maybe try Windows putty non-TCP/IP serial I/O?
>
>> I was specifically trying to avoid a Windows program.
>
> putty is not a Windows program.

PuTTY started out as a Windows-only program and is certainly still best-known as a free GUI terminal program for Windows.  If you were to give a free-association test to a sufficiently large set of random IT people, Iâd bet there would be more who would answer âWindowsâ than with all non-Windows OS-related terms combined.

What you should have said is that there is a Cygwin build of putty in the official Cygwin package repository.

Unfortunately, it is a GUI program, which seems to go against the OPâs actual wish, which is for a command line program.

If the OP can stand a curses terminal program (as opposed to a purely bytestream oriented program like cu or direct /dev/tty* access) then Iâd suggest minicom.

minicom builds out of the box on Cygwin *provided* that you have libiconv-devel and libncurses-devel installed.  The configure script will diagnose the absence of the first, but it tries to work around the lack of the latter and fails during the build.

  $ wget https://alioth.debian.org/frs/download.php/file/3977/minicom-2.7.tar.gz
  $ tar xf minicom-2.7.tar.gz
  $ cd minicom-2.7
  $ ./configure && make -j11
  $ src/minicom --version
  minicom version 2.7 (compiled Jun  9 2016)
  Copyright (C) Miquel van Smoorenburg.

  This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
  modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
  as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version
  2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.