Re: wget 1.17.x creates odd permissions on downloaded files

On Jun 22, 2016, at 12:40 PM, Zube <Zube@stat.colostate.edu> wrote:

> 1) putty will not execute.  Error is "Access is deniedâ.

Is it getting the +x permission for your user or one of its groups?  Windows requires this just as Unix does.

Post the getfacl and icalcs output for putty.exe if you think itâs correct.

> 2) Examining the permissions on putty.exe, the first thing that
> comes up is an error that reads:
>
> "The permissions on putty.exe are incorrectly ordered, which may
> cause some entries to be ineffective.â

Thatâs Explorer saying that, not Cygwin, right?  Let Explorer fix it.

> The permissions are odd.

If it doesnât need any Windows-specific permissions, you can strip all non-Cygwin/POSIX permissions:

   $ setfacl -kb putty.exe
   $ chmod +x putty.exe

Do it in that order.  (The second command may not work or may do strange things if you do it before stripping the non-POSIX permissions.)

If that still fails, setfacl -kb the directory youâre doing this in, but only if itâs a directory that only Cygwin uses.  Otherwise, you risk breaking some ACL Windows or a native Windows program depends on.

> If I use a browser to download the file or a different version of wget
> (e.g. https://eternallybored.org/misc/wget/) and drop putty.exe in
> the same directory, there are no issues.

Yes, Windows seems to set the +x permission the way some people use table salt.

> It also doesn't matter where
> the file is dropped.

Oh, that might not be true.  Windowsâ permission inheritance model can result in the destination mattering.  What you mean to say is, you have yet to find a target directory where the results are different. :)

This may not be a wget problem.  cygwin1.dll is becoming more POSIX-compliant in its permission handling lately.